[openstack-dev] [Nova] First time contributing to some project

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:00:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 17:33 +0530, Dharmit Shah wrote:
> Hello Stackers,
>
> This is the first time I am mailing some dev mailing list and first
> time I am trying to contribute on some open source project.

Welcome, Dharmit, nice to have you in our community! :)

> I am working on a low-hanging-fruit bug
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1261909). It's about removing
> hba specific code from nova as cinder manages the volume part.
>
> The function in question is get_fc_hbas() in the
> nova/virt/libvirt/utils.py file. This function is being referred by
> get_fc_hbas_info() function in the same file and connect_volume()
> function in nova/virt/libvirt/volume.py file. Issue is that the latter
> is being used in a lot of other files across nova code.
>
> I think the same connect_volume() function is defined in
> cinder/brick/initiator/connector.py file and has similar code as that
> in nova/virt/libvirt/volume.py. Should I just nuke all the
> get_fc_hbas(), get_fc_hbas_info() and connect_volume() definitions and
> reference from the nova code?
>
> I am really confused about how I should proceed further on this. Can
> someone please help me get started with this?

Hop on Freenode IRC, #openstack-nova channel, and have a chat with the
original bug reporter Padraig Brady (pixelb on IRC) or John Garbutt
(johnthetubaguy on IRC), who commented on the bug as well. I'm sure
either would be happy to provide more information to you.

If they aren't around, a number of other folks, including myself
(jaypipes on IRC), are available to help as well.

Best,
-jay