[openstack-dev] [Nova][SDK] What Nova APIs are used by SDKs

Kenichi Oomichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Wed Mar 19 11:42:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

We need to know what Nova APIs are used by each SDK.
Could SDK developers/users/someone write them on the below spreadsheet?

  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvimqlvxcSGGdGxYSVJQb2tic25wUmFkcDJFV25OSUE#gid=2

I have written SDK names on the spreadsheet from https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SDKs
Please write "1" on the used API items.

On Nova v3 API development, there is one big problem about the backward
incompatibility. The API design of v3 API has been changed since v2 API
for making the design consistent, but v2 API is already used by many SDKs.
So we cannot remove v2 API implementation method soon.

To avoid this problem, we are working for v2.1 API[1].
When receiving a v2 format request, that translates the request to one of
v3 and passes it to v3 API implementation method. After v3 method operation,
it translates the response to v2 format again. Then Nova returns v2 format
response to a client. v2 API implementation method is not used, and we will
be able to remove it without the backward incompatibility issues.

In addition, we are working for improving v2 API tests[2].
Now Tempest does not check API responses of Nova API in many cases.
For example, Tempest does not check what API attributes("flavor", "image",
etc.) should be included in the response body of "create a server" API.
So we need to improve Tempest coverage from this viewpoint for blocking
backward incompatibility changes.

To implementing these developments efficiently, I'd like to know what Nova
APIs are used by each SDK. We will implement/test the APIs, which are used
by many SDKs, with high priority.

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi

---