[openstack-dev] Constructive Conversations

Solly Ross sross at redhat.com
Tue Mar 18 20:07:30 UTC 2014

Since I joined the OpenStack community back in May, this is something I've though about.

I think there's something to be said for thought-to-text being a lossy encoding algorithm (at least
the way most people use it).  I've encountered cases where it appeared the person on the other end was angry or
belittling, where in fact they were just surprised (or perhaps were slightly exasperated).

Sometimes it's seemed like I've had reviews where the first comment feels like
"OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING IMAGINABLE YOU SHOULD GO DIE IN A FIRE" and then I make a change and the next comment
is "you're an awesome person and should feel proud of yourself".

To a certain extent, things like emoji can help to rectify situations like these (that's actually why people started using
them back in the BBS days), but part of it is simply knowing that certain people talk a certain way.  Could some people
be more conscious of how their words could be interpreted?  Certainly, but it's difficult to know how one's words will
be interpreted.  Are there cases of people actually intending to be a dick?  Probably, but I feel like these cases are
dwarfed by the aforementioned cases.

Just my 0.00003 BTC.

Best Regards,
Solly Ross