[openstack-dev] [Solum][Oslo] Next Release of oslo.messaging?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Mar 18 18:21:42 UTC 2014

Awesome, great to see this, will try it out :-)

Is that in the recently released pbr (0.7.0?)

From: Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com<mailto:doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Solum][Oslo] Next Release of oslo.messaging?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Angus Salkeld <angus.salkeld at rackspace.com<mailto:angus.salkeld at rackspace.com>> wrote:
On 18/03/14 07:39 +0530, Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com<mailto:adrian.otto at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Doug Hellmann and Victror Stinner (+ oslo cores),

Solum currently depends on a py33 gate. We want to use oslo.messaging, but are worried that in the current state, we will be stuck without py33 support. We hope that by adding the Trollius code[1], and getting a new release number, that we can add the oslo.messaging library to our requirements and proceed with our async messaging plan.

I am seeking guidance from you on when the above might happen. If it's a short time, we may just wait for it. If it's a long time, we may need to relax our py33 gate to non-voting in order to prevent breakage of our Stackforge CI while we work with the oslo.messaging code. We are also considering doing an ugly workaround of creating a bunch of worker processes on the same messaging topic until we can clear this concern.

Thoughts?

I think we should not make python33 gate non-voting as we will miss
out issues related others. We can toggle the oslo.messaging related
tests to not run in python33.

Even if we disable our tests, we can't even add oslo.messaging to
our requirements.txt as it can't even be installed.

Actually, Julien recently added support to pbr for separate requirements files for python 3 (requirements-py3.txt and test-requirements-py3.txt). If the python 3 file exists, the default file is not used at all, so it is possible to list completely different requirements for python 2 and 3.

Doug

The only practical solution I can see is to make py33 non-voting until oslo.messaging
can handle py33.

-Angus

Regards,
Noorul