[openstack-dev] Updating libvirt in gate jobs
sean at dague.net
Tue Mar 18 15:12:51 UTC 2014
On 03/18/2014 10:11 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 07:50:15AM -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> Hi Team,
>> We have 2 choices
>> 1) Upgrade to libvirt 0.9.8+ (See  for details)
>> 2) Enable UCA and upgrade to libvirt 1.2.2+ (see  for details)
>> For #1, we received a patched deb from @SergeHallyn/@JamesPage and ran
>> tests on it in review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79816/
>> For #2, @SergeHallyn/@JamesPage have updated UCA
>> ("precise-proposed/icehouse") repo and we ran tests on it in review
>> For IceHouse, my recommendation is to request Ubuntu folks to push the
>> patched 0.9.8+ version we validated to public repos, then we can can
>> install/run gate jobs with that version. This is probably the smallest
>> risk of the 2 choices.
> If we've re-run the tests in that review enough times to be confident
> we've had a chance of exercising the race conditions, then using the
> patched 0.9.8 seems like a no-brainer. We know the current version in
> ubuntu repos is broken for us, so the sooner we address that the better.
>> As soon as Juno begins, we can switch 1.2.2+ on UCA and request Ubuntu
>> folks to push the verified version where we can use it.
> This basically re-raises the question of /what/ we should be testing in
> the gate, which was discussed on this list a few weeks ago, and I'm not
> clear that there was a definite decision in that thread
> Testing the lowest vs highest is targetting two different scenarios
> - Testing the lowest version demonstrates that OpenStack has not
> broken its own code by introducing use of a new feature.
> - Testing the highest version demonstrates that OpenStack has not
> been broken by 3rd party code introducing a regression.
> I think it is in scope for openstack to be targetting both of these
> scenarios. For anything in-between though, it is upto the downstream
> vendors to test their precise combination of versions. Currently though
> our testing policy for non-python bits is "whatever version ubuntu ships",
> which may be neither the lowest or highest versions, just some arbitrary
> version they wish to support. So this discussion is currently more of a
> 'what ubuntu version should we test on' kind of decision
I think testing 2 versions of libvirt in the gate is adding a matrix
dimension that we currently can't really support. We're just going to
have to pick one per release and be fine with it (at least for icehouse).
If people want other versions tested, please come in with 3rd party ci
We can revisit the big test matrix at summit about the combinations
we're going to actually validate, because with the various limitations
we've got (concurrency limits, quota limits, upstream package limits,
kinds of tests we want to run) we're going to have to make a bunch of
compromises. Testing something new is going to require throwing existing
stuff out of the test path.
Samsung Research America
sean at dague.net / sean.dague at samsung.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 482 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the OpenStack-dev