[openstack-dev] [neutron] Globally-unique VM MAC address to do vendor-backed DHCP

Roman Verchikov rverchikov at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 18 11:40:51 UTC 2014

Hi stakers,

We’re trying to replace dnsmasq-supplied DHCP for tenant VMs with a vendor’s baremetal DHCP server. In order to pass DHCP request to a vendor’s server and send DHCP response back to VM we decided to add another OVS bridge (we called it br-dhcp), connected to integration bridge (br-int), which will have OVS rules connecting VM’s MAC address with br-dhcp port. In this scenario DHCP response will only find it’s way back to a VM if VM has globally-unique MAC address.

My questions are:
is having code which generates globally-unique MACs for VMs acceptable by the community at all?
is there a better solution to the problem (we also tried using dnsmasq as a DHCP relay there)?

Thanks,
Roman