[openstack-dev] Icehouse dependency freeze

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Mar 18 11:28:53 UTC 2014

On 03/18/2014 06:12 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> We're now 1 month away from the scheduled release date. It is my strong
>> opinion (as the main Debian OpenStack package maintainer) that for the
>> last Havana release, the freeze of dependency happened really too late,
>> creating issues hard to deal with on the packaging side. I believe it
>> would be also hard to deal with for Ubuntu people (with the next LTS
>> releasing soon).
>>
>> I'd be in the favor to freeze the dependencies for Icehouse *right now*
>> (including version updates which aren't packaged yet in Debian).
>> Otherwise, it may be very hard for me to get things pass the FTP masters
>> NEW queue in time for new packages.
>
> I'm all for it. In my view, dependency freeze should be a consequence of
> feature freeze -- we should count any change that requires the addition
> of a new dependency as a feature.
>
> That said, the devil is in the details... There are bugs best fixed by
> adding a library dep, there are version bumps, there are Oslo
> libraries... I've added this topic for discussion at the Project/release
> meeting today (21:00 UTC) so that we can hash out the details.

Things which are currently outstanding on freeze.

Upstream still requires - SQLA < 0.8. Thomas has forked debian to allow
0.9. I think we should resolve that before release.

Trove turned out to not be participating in global requirements, and has
3 items outside of requirements.

I also think we probably need a larger rethink of the
global-requirements process because I see a lot of review's bumping
minimum versions because "some bugs are fixed upstream". And those all
seem to be sailing through. I think for incorrect reasons. No one's
objected at this point, so maybe that's ok. But it's probably worth a
huddle up.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague