[openstack-dev] [nova][baremetal] Status of nova baremetal and ironic

Zhongyue Luo zhongyue.nah at intel.com
Tue Mar 18 07:22:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

If I were to implement a new BM driver then should I propose a BP to Ironic
rather than Nova? We are currently writing a driver internally using
nova-baremetal. My understanding is that nova-baremetal will only merge
critical bug fixes and new features will merge to Ironic, correct? Thanks.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Chris K <nobodycam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Taurus,
>
> You are correct Ironic is under rapid development right now, there are
> several patches in flight right now critical to Ironic. There have been
> successful tests using Ironic to boot both vm's and real hardware, but at
> this time I would say we are just about out of alpha and entering bata
> stages. Ironic's Goal is to graduate from incubation in the Icehouse cycle,
> and start integration in the "J" cycle. We are working on a migration path
> from Nova-bm to Ironic as part of this graduation. With out knowing what
> environment you are using Nova-bm it is very difficult to say when you
> should look at switching, but off the top of my head I would say: "Look at
> evaluating after the Icehouse release."  I would include with that "Check
> back often, things are changing quickly."
>

> Chris Krelle
> NobodyCam
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Taurus Cheung <
> Taurus.Cheung at harmonicinc.com> wrote:
>
>> I am working on deploying images to bare-metal machines using nova
>> bare-metal. So far working well.
>>

>> I know Ironic is under rapid development. Could I know the current status
>> of Ironic and the suitable time to shift from nova baremetal to Ironic?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Taurus

*Intel SSG/STO/DCST/CIT*
880 Zixing Road, Zizhu Science Park, Minhang District, 200241, Shanghai,
China
+862161166500