[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] non-persistent storage(after stopping VM, data will be rollback automatically), do you think we shoud introduce this feature?

Zhangleiqiang (Trump) zhangleiqiang at huawei.com
Tue Mar 18 03:32:09 UTC 2014

I think there is some misunderstanding about non-persistent disk, the non-persistent disk will only rollback if the instance is shutdown and start again, and will persistent the data if it is soft-reboot.

Non-persistent disk does have use cases. Using explicit API command can achieve it, but I think there will be some work need to be done before booting the instance or after shutdown the instance, including:
1. For cinder volume, create a snapshot; For libvirt ephemeral image backend, create new image
2.Update attached volume info for instance
3.Delete the cinder snapshot and libvirt ephemeral image, and update volume/image info for instance again

These works can be done by users manually or by some "Upper system" ? Or non-persistent can be set as a metadata/property of volume/image, and handled by Nova?