[openstack-dev] Automatic version creation in PBR

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 17 03:10:30 UTC 2014

Right now PBR's creation of versions for postversioning is problematic
- it generates versions that (if recognized by pip) would be treated
as releases, even when its a non-tagged commit.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/pbr-postversion-semver

The tl;dr is a proposal to generate dev marked versions of the lowest
possible higher tag that we would accept - which would be any of full
release or alpha/beta/rc

A related but can be done separately change is to pick version strings
for alpha releases that are compatible with both PEP 440 and semver.

Feedback solicited - if this is something contentious, we can make it
an opt-in feature, but it seems unambiguously better to the folk that
chatted through it on #openstack-infra, so ideally I'd like to
transition any existing incompatible tags we have, and then land code
to make this the behaviour for post-versioned (the default - no
'version' key in setup.cfg) untagged commits.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist