[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Advanced Services Common requirements IRC meeting

Sumit Naiksatam sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:25:32 UTC 2014

Here is a summary from yesterday's meeting:

** Flavors (topic lead: Eugene Nikanorov)
* Hide the provider implementation details from the user
  - The admin API would still need to be able to configure the
provider artifacts
  - Suggestion to leverage existing provider model for this
  - Also suggestion to optionally expose vendor in the tenant-facing API
* It should have generic application to Neutron services
* It should be able to represent different "flavors" of the same
service (supported by the same or different backend providers)
* Should the tenant facing abstraction support exact match and/or
loose semantics for flavor specifications?
  - This does not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. We could
converge on a base set of attributes as a part of the generic and
common definition across services. There could be additional
(extended) attributes that can be exposed per backend provider (and
might end up being specific to that deployment)
* Name of this abstraction, we did not discuss this

** Service Insertion/Chaining (topic lead: Sumit Naiksatam)
* Service context
  - general agreement on what is being introduced in:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62599
* Service chain
  - Can a flavor capture the definition of a service chain. Current
thinking is yes.
  - If so, we need to discuss more on the feasibility of tenant
created service chains
  - The current approach specified in:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-services-insertion-chaining-steering
does not preclude this.

** Vendor plugins for L3 services (topic lead: Paul Michali)
* how to handle/locate vendor config files
* way to do vendor validation (e.g. validate, commit, apply ~ to
precommit/postcommit)
* How to tell client what vendor capabilities are
* How to report to plugin status, when there are problems
* I've seen a bunch of these issues with VPN development and imagine
other svcs do to.
* Should we setup a separate IRC to discuss some ideas on this?

** Requirements for group policy framework
* We could not cover this

** Logistics
* The feedback was to continue this meeting on a weekly basis (since
lots more discussions are needed on these and other topics), and
change the day/time to Wednesdays at 1700 UTC on #openstack-meeting-3

Meeting wiki page and logs can be found here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/AdvancedServices

Thanks,
~Sumit.