[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Fri Mar 14 15:19:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Duncan Thomas <duncan.thomas at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 15 January 2014 18:53, Brant Knudson <blk at acm.org> wrote:
>
> > At no point do I care what are the different commits that are being
> brought
> > in from oslo-incubator. If the commits are listed in the commit message
> then
> > I feel an obligation to verify that they got the right commits in the
> > message and that takes extra time for no gain.
>
> I find that I very much *do* want a list of what changes have been
> pulled in, so I've so idea of the intent of the changes. Some of the
> OSLO changes can be large and complicated, and the more clues as to
> why things changed, the better the chance I've got of spotting
> breakages or differing assumptions between cinder and OSLO (of which
> there have been a number)
>
> I don't very often verify that the version that has been pulled in is
> the very latest or anything like that - generally I want to know:

One thing that I think we should be verifying is that the changes being
brought over have actually been committed to oslo-incubator. I'm sure there
have been times where someone eager to get the fix in has not waited for
the oslo-incubator merge before syncing their change over.

 - What issue are you trying to fix by doing an update? (The fact OSLO
> is ahead of us is rarely a good enough reason on its own to do an
> update - preferably reference a specific bug that exists in cinder)

When I sync a change from oslo-incubator to fix a bug I put Closes-Bug on
the commit message to indicate what bug is being fixed. If the sync tool
was enhanced to pick out the *-Bug references from the oslo commits to
include in the sync commit message that would be handy.

>  - What other incidental changes are being pulled in (by intent, not
> just the code)
>  - If I'm unsure about one of the incidental changes, how do I go find
> the history for it, with lots of searching (hense the commit ID or the
> change ID) - this lets me find bugs, reviews etc

How does one get the list of commits that are being brought over from
oslo-incubator? You'd have to know what the previous commit was that was
synced.

- Brant