[openstack-dev] [qa] Python 3.3 patches (using six)

victor stinner victor.stinner at enovance.com
Fri Mar 14 08:49:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm working for eNovance and we are working on porting OpenStack to Python 3. Status of the port:

  http://techs.enovance.com/6722/status-of-the-openstack-port-to-python-3-2
  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3

I understand that it becomes late for Python 3 changes before Icehouse release, but I don't agree on the second part of your mail.

David wrote:
> (...) I'm not sure it makes sense to do this work piecemeal until
> we are near ready to introduce a py3 gate job.

I'm not sure that I understood correctly. You want first to see all Python 3 tests pass, and then accept changes to fix Python 3 issues? Adding a py33 gate is nice, but it is almost useless before it becomes voting if nobody reads failures. And I don't expect that anyone will care of the py33 gate before it becomes voting.

It's not possible to fix all Python 3 issues at once. It requires many small changes which are carefully viewed and discussed. It is not possible to see all issues at once neither. For example, you have first to fix obvious syntax errors to see less trivial Python 3 issues. Changes are done incrementally, as other changes in OpenStack.

Yes, it's possible to reintroduce Python 3 incompatible code, but I expect much fewer "regressions" compared to the number of fixed issues.

Cyril Roelandt is improving the hacking tool to detect the most obvious cases of Python 3 incompatible code:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/80171/

We are working on clients and Olso Incubator first, but we are also preparing the port of servers.

Victor