[openstack-dev] does exception need localize or not?

Alexei Kornienko alexei.kornienko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 21:03:07 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 10:44 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM, yongli he <yongli.he at intel.com
> <mailto:yongli.he at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     refer to :
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations
>
>     now some exception use _ and some not.  the wiki suggest do not to
>     do that. but i'm not sure.
>
>     what's the correct way?
>

>     F.Y.I
>

>             What To Translate
>
>     At present the convention is to translate/all/user-facing strings.
>     This means API messages, CLI responses, documentation, help text, etc.
>
>     There has been a lack of consensus about the translation of log
>     messages; the current ruling is that while it is not against
>     policy to mark log messages for translation if your project feels
>     strongly about it, translating log messages is not actively
>     encouraged.
>

> I've updated the wiki to replace that paragraph with a pointer to
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards#Log_Translation which
> explains the log translation rules. We will be adding the job needed
> to have different log translations during Juno.
>
>     Exception text should/not/be marked for translation, becuase if an
>     exception occurs there is no guarantee that the translation
>     machinery will be functional.
>

> This makes no sense to me. Exceptions should be translated. By far the
> largest number of errors will be presented to users through the API or
> through Horizon (which gets them from the API). We will ensure that
> the translation code does its best to fall back to the original string
> if the translation fails.
There is another option: exception can contain non localized string and
a thin wrapper will translate them on API layer right before output.
Something like:
print _(str(exception)).

It seems a cleaner solution to me since we don't need to add
translations all over the code and we call a gettext just once when it's
actually needed.