[openstack-dev] [keystone] All LDAP users returned using keystone v3/users API

Anna A Sortland annasort at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 13 15:36:05 UTC 2014

[A] The current keystone LDAP community driver returns all users that
exist in LDAP via the API call v3/users, instead of returning just users
that have role grants (similar processing is true for groups). This could
potentially be a very large number of users. We have seen large companies
with LDAP servers containing hundreds and thousands of users. We are aware
of the filters available in keystone.conf ([ldap].user_filter and
[ldap].query_scope) to cut down on the number of results, but they do not
provide sufficient filtering (for example, it is not possible to set
user_filter to members of certain known groups for OpenLDAP without
creating a memberOf overlay on the LDAP server).

[Nathan Kinder] What attributes would you filter on?  It seems to me that
LDAP would need to have knowledge of the roles to be able to filter based
on the roles.  This is not necessarily the case, as identity and
assignment can be split in Keystone such that identity is in LDAP and role
assignment is in SQL.  I believe it was designed this way to deal with
deployments
where LDAP already exists and there is no need (or possibility) of adding
role info into LDAP.

[A] That's our main use case. The users and groups are in LDAP and role
assignments are in SQL.
You would filter on role grants and this information is in SQL backend. So
new API would need to query both identity and assignment drivers.

[Nathan Kinder] Without filtering based on a role attribute in LDAP, I
don't think that there is a good solution if you have OpenStack and
non-OpenStack users mixed in the same container in LDAP.
If you want to first find all of the users that have a role assigned to
them in the assignments backend, then pull their information from LDAP, I
think that you will end up with one LDAP search operation per user. This
also isn't a very scalable solution.

[A] What was the reason the LDAP driver was written this way, instead of
returning just the users that have OpenStack-known roles? Was the creation
of a separate API for this function considered?
Are other exploiters of OpenStack (or users of Horizon) experiencing this
issue? If so, what was their approach to overcome this issue? We have been
prototyping a keystone extension that provides an API that provides this
filtering capability, but it seems like a function that should be
generally available in keystone.

[Nathan Kinder] I'm curious to know how your prototype is looking to
handle this.

[A] The prototype basically first calls assignment API
list_role_assignments() to get a list of users and groups with role
grants. It then iterates the retrieved list and calls identity API
list_users_in_group() to get the list of users in these groups with grants
and get_user() to get users that have role grants but do not belong to the
groups with role grants (a call for each user). Both calls ignore groups
and users that are not found in the LDAP registry but exist in SQL (this
could be the result of a user or group being removed from LDAP, but the
corresponding role grant was not revoked). Then the code removes
duplicates if any and returns the combined list.

The new extension API is /v3/my_new_extension/users. Maybe the better
naming would be v3/roles/users (list users with any role) - compare to
existing v3/roles/​{role_id}​/users  (list users with a specified role).

Another alternative that we've tried is just a new identity driver that
inherits from keystone.identity.backends.ldap.LDAPIdentity and overrides
just the list_users() function. That's probably not the best approach from
OpenStack standards point of view but I would like to get community's
feedback on whether this is acceptable.

I've posted this question to openstack-security last week but could not
get any feedback after Nathan's first reply. Reposting to openstack-dev..

Anna Sortland
Cloud Systems Software Development
IBM Rochester, MN
annasort at us.ibm.com