[openstack-dev] [nova] An analysis of code review in Nova

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 10:09:58 UTC 2014

On 12/03/14 18:28, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> [...]
>> quarter of it has been rewritten, but you can't see it. I am very new to
>> this and others should validate my conclusions, but I also believe this
>> is having a detrimental impact to code quality. Remember that the above
>> 12 day approval is only the time for the final version to be approved.
>> If a change goes through multiple versions, each of those also has an
>> increased review period, meaning that the time from first submission to
>> final inclusion is typically very, very protracted. The VMware driver
>> has its fair share of high priority issues and functionality gaps, and
>> the developers are motived to get it in the best possible shape as
>> quickly as possible. However, it is my impression that when problems
>> stem from structural issues, the developers choose to add metaphorical
>> gaffer tape rather than fix them, because fixing both creates a
>> dependency chain which pushes the user-visible fix months into the
>> future. In this respect the review process is dysfunctional, and is
>> actively detrimental to code quality.
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm not yet sufficiently familiar with the project to
>> offer a solution. A core reviewer who regularly looks at it is an
>> obvious fix. A less obvious fix might involve a process which allows
>> developers to work on a fork which is periodically merged, rather like
>> the kernel.
>>
>> Matt

> When I originally read this I had some ideas in mind for a response
> regarding review latency with the vmware driver patches, but felt like
> anything I said, albeit what I consider honest, would sound
> bad/offensive in some way, and didn't want to convey that.
>
> But this came up in IRC today:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vmware-spawn-refactor
>
> That spurred some discussion around this same topic and I think
> highlights one of the major issues, which is code quality and the design
> of the driver.
>
> For example, the driver's spawn method is huge and there are a lot of
> nested methods within it.  There are a lot of vmware patches and a lot
> of blueprints, and a lot of them touch spawn.  When I'm reviewing them,
> I'm looking for new conditions and checking to see if those are unit
> tested (positive/error cases) and a lot of the time I find it very
> difficult to tell if they are or not.  I think a lot of that has to do
> with how the vmware tests are scaffolded with fakes to simulate a
> vcenter backend, but it makes it very difficult if you're not extremely
> familiar with that code to know if something is covered or not.
>
> And I've actually asked in bp reviews before, 'you have this new/changed
> condition, where is it tested' and the response is more or less 'we plan
> on refactoring this later and will add unit tests then' or 'it's hard to
> test this path without a lot of changes to how the tests are working'.
> That's unacceptable to me, and I generally give up on the review after

I think part of this is a (hopefully temporary) catch 22. Major
refactors are put off because review process latency would complicate
and delay user visible features, and user visible features are delayed
in review because they highlight the urgent need for major refactors. I
think Juno will be an excellent opportunity to jump out of this cycle.

> So to move this all forward, I think that bp above should be top
> priority for the vmware team in Juno to keep bp patches moving at the
> pace they do, because the features and refactoring just keeps coming and
> at least for me it's very hard to burn out on looking at those reviews.

As I think has been mentioned elsewhere, the other big one is the move
to the common vSphere API code in oslo, which is a huge source of cruft
in the driver. This is going to require mechanical changes across the
whole driver, so is going to be quite disruptive. As this work is
largely done, I would put it before even the spawn() refactor.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490