[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Dina Belova dbelova at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 12 17:07:01 UTC 2014

> The biggest concern seemed to be that we weren't sure whether Climate
> makes sense as an independent project or not.  We think it may make more
> sense to integrate what Climate does today into Nova directly.  More
> generally, we think reservations of resources may best belong in the
> APIs responsible for managing those resources, similar to how quota
> management for resources lives in the resource APIs.
> There is some expectation that this type of functionality will extend
> beyond Nova, but for that we could look at creating a shared library of
> code to ease implementing this sort of thing in each API that needs it.

Russel, sure. I guess we'll discuss that more carefully on summit, and I
love see that feature implemented in the best way it should be done. I
think in person discussion will help here much. I'm hoping to collect more
feedback before summit to have multiple view on this problem.

I truly agree with the fact that possibly users should not use a separate
> API for reserving resources, but that would be worth duty for the project
> itself (Nova, Cinder or even Heat). That said, we think that there is need
> for having a global ordonancer managing resources and not siloing the
> resources. Hence that's why we still think there is still a need for a
> Climate Manager.
> Once I said that, there are different ways to plug in with the Manager,
> our proposal is to deliver a REST API and a python client so that there
> could be still some operator access for managing the resources if needed.
> The other way would be to only expose an RPC interface like the scheduler
> does at the moment but as the move to Pecan/WSME is already close to be
> done (reviews currently in progress), that's still a good opportunity for
> leveraging the existing bits of code.

Sylvain, I quite agree with you.

-- Dina

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Sylvain Bauza <sylvain.bauza at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Russell,
> Thanks for replying,

> On 03/12/2014 07:35 AM, Dina Belova wrote:
>> > Thanks TC for spending time on Blazar (ex. Climate, in process of
>> > renaming) discussion!
>> >
>> > It was decided that potentially reservation idea is interesting for OS
>> > and it'll be great to have cross-project session on ongoing Atlanta
>> > Summit and discuss future of reservation/scheduling management in
>> OpenStack.
>> >
>> > Here is link to cross-project session proposal:
>> >
>> > http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/45
>> >
>> > Thanks everyone and let's keep working on that idea.
>>
>> Yes, I do think it would be useful to discuss this in person.  However,
>> I don't think that was the most important feedback from the TC meeting.
>>
>> The biggest concern seemed to be that we weren't sure whether Climate
>> makes sense as an independent project or not.  We think it may make more
>> sense to integrate what Climate does today into Nova directly.  More
>> generally, we think reservations of resources may best belong in the
>> APIs responsible for managing those resources, similar to how quota
>> management for resources lives in the resource APIs.
>>
>> There is some expectation that this type of functionality will extend
>> beyond Nova, but for that we could look at creating a shared library of
>> code to ease implementing this sort of thing in each API that needs it.
>>

> That's really a good question, so maybe I could give some feedback on how
> we deal with the existing use-cases.
> About the possible integration with Nova, that's already something we did
> for the virtual instances use-case, thanks to an API extension responsible
> for checking if a scheduler hint called 'reservation' was spent, and if so,
> take use of the python-climateclient package to send a request to Climate.
>
> I truly agree with the fact that possibly users should not use a separate
> API for reserving resources, but that would be worth duty for the project
> itself (Nova, Cinder or even Heat). That said, we think that there is need
> for having a global ordonancer managing resources and not siloing the
> resources. Hence that's why we still think there is still a need for a
> Climate Manager.
>
> Once I said that, there are different ways to plug in with the Manager,
> our proposal is to deliver a REST API and a python client so that there
> could be still some operator access for managing the resources if needed.
> The other way would be to only expose an RPC interface like the scheduler
> does at the moment but as the move to Pecan/WSME is already close to be
> done (reviews currently in progress), that's still a good opportunity for
> leveraging the existing bits of code.
>
> -Sylvain

Best regards,

Dina Belova