[openstack-dev] [Nova][Cinder] Feature about volume delete protection

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 16:15:37 UTC 2014

On 11 March 2014 09:09, Zhangleiqiang <zhangleiqiang at huawei.com> wrote:

> For example, one tenant's volume quota is five, and has 5 volumes and 1 snapshot already. If the data in base volume of the snapshot is corrupted, the user will need to create a new volume from the snapshot, but this operation will be failed because there are already 5 volumes, and the original volume cannot be deleted, too.

That original volume is still taking up disk space, so absolutely
needs to be part of the quota and billing.

We talked about allowing snapshots to exist when their origin volume
is deleted in cinder (I was an advocate of it), but it turns out to be
impossible on some backends without lots of data copying, and having a
quota system that does not represent the actual resource usage is
begging for s DoS attack.