[openstack-dev] [all][db][performance] Proposal: Get rid of soft deletion (step by step)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Mar 12 01:47:34 UTC 2014

The question that I don't understand is why does this process have to be
involve the database to begin with?

If you want to archive images per-say, on deletion just export it to a
'backup tape' (for example) and store enough of the metadata on that
'tape' to re-insert it if this is really desired and then delete it from
the database (or do the export... asynchronously). The same could be said
with VMs, although likely not all resources, aka networks/.../ make sense
to do this.

So instead of deleted = 1, wait for cleaner, just save the resource (if
possible) + enough metadata on some other system ('backup tape', alternate
storage location, hdfs, ceph...) and leave it there unless it's really
needed. Making the database more complex (and all associated code) to
achieve this same goal seems like a hack that just needs to be addressed
with a better way to do archiving.

In a cloudy world of course people would be able to recreate everything
they need on-demand so who needs undelete anyway ;-)

My 0.02 cents.