[openstack-dev] [Trove] MySQL 5.6 disk-image-builder element

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Mar 11 17:57:48 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Lowery, Mathew's message of 2014-03-11 10:33:12 -0700:
> My colleague, Ranjitha Vemula, just submitted a trove-integration patch
> set to add a MySQL 5.6 disk-image-builder element. Two major hurdles were
> faced with this patch set.

<snip>

> In my understanding, D.I.B. elements should be pretty dumb and the caller
> should worry about composing them so this setup seems like the best
> approach to me but it leaves ubuntu-mysql untouched. A point made by
> hub_cap is that now ubuntu-mysql, similar to ubuntu-guest, would imply
> "things common to all MySQL images" but as of right now, it is as it was
> before: a MySQL 5.5 image. So there's that to discuss.

Yes and no. Yes you should allow users to compose their images by listing
elements. However, you can compose your element from other elements as
well automatically by using The element-deps file in the root.

I'd suggest copying everything that is common to the two elements
into an ubuntu-mysql-common element, and having both ubuntu-mysql and
ubuntu-mysq-5.6 list ubuntu-mysql-common in element-deps.