[openstack-dev] [nova] a question about instance snapshot

Bohai (ricky) bohai at huawei.com
Tue Mar 11 06:35:06 UTC 2014

Hi Jay,

I read every words in your reply and respect what you said.

But i can't agree with you that memory snapshot is a feature for pat not for cattle.
I think it's a feature whatever what do you look the instance as.

The world doesn't care about what we look the instance as, in fact, currently almost all the
mainstream hypervisors have supported the memory snapshot.
If it's just a dispensable feature and no users need it, I can't understand why
the hypervisors provide it without exception.

In the document " OPENSTACK OPERATIONS GUIDE" section " Live snapshots" has the
below words:
" To ensure that important services have written their contents to disk (such as, databases),
we recommend you read the documentation for those applications to determine what commands
to issue to have them sync their contents to disk. If you are unsure how to do this,
 the safest approach is to simply stop these running services normally.
"
This just pushes all the responsibility to guarantee the consistency of the instance to the end user.
It's absolutely not convenient and I doubt whether it's appropriate.

Best regards to you.
Ricky