[openstack-dev] [all][db][performance] Proposal: Get rid of soft deletion (step by step)

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Mar 10 22:06:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea to me.

I generally think this is a good idea too.

> I've never understood why we treat the DB as a LOG (keeping deleted == 0
> records around) when we should just use a LOG (or similar system) to
> begin with instead.
>
> Does anyone use the feature of switching deleted == 1 back to
> deleted = 0? Has this worked out for u?

This isn't the only potential use. It's possible that code depends on
being able to still access deleted records.

For instance, in the past we could delete an instance_type, but if an
instance is still referencing it, code would still try to fetch it from
the database some times.

This particular example probably isn't an issue anymore since I think all
of that has been moved to instance metadata specifically to avoid
problems like this.

That said, I think it's well worth the effort to simplify the code and
make operators lives easier.

JE