[openstack-dev] [nova] a question about instance snapshot

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:58:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 16:30 -0400, Shawn Hartsock wrote:
> While I understand the general argument about pets versus cattle. The
> question is, would you be willing to poke a few holes in the strict
> "cattle" abstraction for the sake of pragmatism. Few shops are going
> to make the direct transition in one move. Poking a hole in the cattle
> abstraction allowing them to keep a pet VM might be very valuable to
> some shops making a migration.

Poking holes in cattle aside, my experience with shops that prefer the
pets approach is that they are either:

 * Not managing their servers themselves at all and just relying on some
IT operations organization to manage everything for them, including all
aspects of backing up their data as well as failing over and balancing
servers, or,
 * Hiding behind rationales of "needing to be secure" or "needing 100%
uptime" or "needing no customer disruption" in order to avoid any change
to the status quo. This is because the incentives inside legacy IT
application development and IT operations groups are typically towards
not rocking the boat in order to satisfy unrealistic expectations and
outdated interface agreements that are forced upon them by management
chains that haven't crawled out of the waterfall project management funk
of the 1980s.

Adding pet-based features to Nova would, IMO, just perpetuate the above
scenarios and incentives.

> To be fair, the places where I've heard interest are looking to "walk
> not run" from a pets approach to a cattle approach. This conceit in
> the abstraction might be valuable enough to them to spell the
> difference between cautiously adopting and tacitly rejecting
> OpenStack.
>
> That's how I would argue *for* the change anyhow, it's not an argument
> based on ideology but on pragmatism.

Yeah, I understand your point, and I do see how it might lead some folks
towards OpenStack.

But then again, I wouldn't port a bunch of Prolog language constructs
and quirks to Python just to lure Prolog and Erlang developers.

In the end, I know I'm probably just over-zealous on this stuff, but I
just can't help it :)

Best,
-jay