[openstack-dev] UTF-8 required charset/encoding for openstack database?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 10 20:36:35 UTC 2014

On 03/10/2014 02:02 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:

> We just had a discussion about this in #openstack-oslo too.  See the
> discussion starting at 2014-03-10T16:32:26
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-oslo/%23openstack-oslo.2014-03-10.log

In that discussion dhellmann said, "I wonder if we make any assumptions
elsewhere that we are using utf8 in the database"

For what it's worth I came across
"https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Encoding", which proposed a rule:

"All external text that is not explicitly encoded (database storage,
commandline arguments, etc.) should be presumed to be encoded as utf-8."

> While it seems Heat does require utf8 (or at least matching character
> sets) across all tables, I'm not sure the current solution is good.  It
> seems like we may want a migration to help with this for anyone who
> might already have mismatched tables.  There's a lot of overlap between
> that discussion and how to handle Postgres with this, I think.

I'm lucky enough to be able to fix this now, I don't have any real
deployments yet.

It sounds like for the near future my best bet would be to just set the
install scripts to configure postgres (which is used only for openstack)
to default to utf-8.  Is that a fair summation?

Chris