[openstack-dev] [Nova client] gate-python-novaclient-pypy

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 10 18:33:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-10 02:37:02 -0700 (-0700), Gary Kotton wrote:
> The client gate seems to be broken with the following error:
[...]
> 2014-03-10 08:19:39.568 |     error: option --single-version-externally-managed not recognized
>
> Any ideas?

I originally saw this setuptools bootstrapping issue when I first
tried to move PyPy-based unit tests from our older static workers to
single-use systems managed by nodepool. It was happening under
setuptools 2.1 but then I was unable to reproduce it once setuptools
2.2 came out so went ahead with moving the jobs. This issue seems to
be recurring and started (from what I can see in test logs)
coincident with the release of setuptools 3.1 on Saturday. Monty
originally proposed an improvement to the way we bootstrap
setuptools on our job workers which ought to help with this, so I'll
see whether it's in shape and still resolves the issue. If so, I'll
make sure we prioritize merging it ASAP to get client gating
unwedged and follow up to this thread with relevant updates.
--
Jeremy Stanley