[openstack-dev] [neutron][rootwrap] Performance considerations, sudo?

Miguel Angel Ajo majopela at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 11:26:23 UTC 2014

Hi Yuri & Stephen, thanks a lot for the clarification.

I'm not familiar with unix domain sockets at low level, but , I wonder
if authentication could be achieved just with permissions (only users in
group "neutron" or group "rootwrap" accessing this service.

I find it an interesting alternative, to the other proposed solutions,
but there are some challenges associated with this solution, which could
make it more complicated:

1) Access control, file system permission based or token based,

2) stdout/stderr/return encapsulation/forwarding to the caller,
    if we have a simple/fast RPC mechanism we can use, it's a matter
    of serializing a dictionary.

3) client side implementation for 1 + 2.

4) It would need to accept new domain socket connections in green
threads to avoid spawning a new process to handle a new connection.

The advantages:
    * we wouldn't need to break the only-python-rule.
    * we don't need to rewrite/translate rootwrap.

The disadvantages:
   * it needs changes on the client side (neutron + other projects),

Cheers,
Miguel Ángel.