[openstack-dev] [nova] [bug?] live migration fails with boot-from-volume

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:23:30 UTC 2014

Are you using  libvirt driver ?
As I remember,  the way to check if  compute nodes with shared storage is
:   create a temporary file from source node , then  check the file from
dest node , by accessing file system from operating system level.  And boot
from volume is just a way to boot instance , not means  shared storage  or
not .
For non-shared storage , have you try  block migration  with  option
--block-migration ?

> Hi,
>
> I was just testing the current icehouse code and came across some
> behaviour that looked suspicious.
>
> I have two nodes, an all-in-one and a compute node.  I was not using
> shared instance storage.
>
> I created a volume from an image and then booted an instance from the
> volume.  Once the image was up and running I tried to do a "nova
> live-migration <instance>" and got the following error:
>

> cfriesen at controller:/opt/stack/nova/nova/compute$ nova live-migration
> fromvol
> ERROR: controller is not on shared storage: Live migration can not be used
> without shared storage. (HTTP 400) (Request-ID: req-0d8da5e4-b0ec-401d-be95-
> d9c4f9f7e062)
>

> Shouldn't booting from volume count as a form of shared storage?
>
> Chris

ChangBo Guo(gcb)