[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6][Security Group] BP: Support ICMP type filter by security group

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:02:52 UTC 2014

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the motivation.

I think the problem can be split into two categories:
(a) user configurable rules vs infra enforced rule, and
(b) DHCP/RA service exists inside or outside of Neutron

Regarding (a), I believe DHCP or RA related rules is better to be handled
by the infra side because it is required to ensure DHCP/RA works well.
I don't think it is a good idea to delegate users to configure rule to
allow them.
It works as long as DHCP/RA service works inside OpenStack.
This is the main motivation of my previous question.

On the other hand, there is no way to cooperate with DHCP/RA
services outside of OpenStack at now. This blocks the usecase in your mind.
It is true that the current Neutron cannot works with dhcp server
outside of neutron.

I agree that adding a security group rule to allow RA is reasonable as
a workaround.
However, for a long time solution, it is better to explore a way to configure
infra-required rules.

Thanks,
Akihiro