[openstack-dev] [nova][vmware] Locking: A can of worms

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Mar 7 17:55:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> confuse them. I'm going to deal with the first question first.
>
> In reviewing the image cache ageing patch, I came across a race
> condition between cache ageing and spawn(). One example of the race is:
>
> Cache Ageing                spawn()
> * Check timestamps
>                             * Delete timestamp
>                             * Check for image cache directory
> * Delete directory
>                             * Use image cache directory
>
> This will cause spawn() to explode. There are various permutations of
> this. For example, the following are all possible:
>
> * A simple failure of spawn() with no additional consequences.
>
> * Calling volumeops.attach_disk_to_vm() with a vmdk_path that doesn't
> exist. It's not 100% clear to me that ReconfigVM_Task will throw an
> error in this case, btw, which would probably be bad.
>
> * Leaving a partially deleted image cache directory which doesn't
> contain the base image. This would be really bad.
>
> The last comes about because recursive directory delete isn't atomic,
> and may partially succeed, which is a tricky problem. However, in
> discussion, Gary also pointed out that directory moves are not atomic
> (see MoveDatastoreFile_Task). This is positively nasty. We already knew
> that spawn() races with itself to create an image cache directory, and
> we've hit this problem in practise. We haven't fixed the race, but we do
> manage it. The management relies on the atomicity of a directory move.
> Unfortunately it isn't atomic, which presents the potential problem of
> spawn() attempting to use an incomplete image cache directory. We also
> have the problem of 2 spawns using a linked clone image racing to create
> the same resized copy.
>
> We could go through all of the above very carefully to assure ourselves
> that we've found all the possible failure paths, and that in every case
> the problems are manageable and documented. However, I would place a
> good bet that the above is far from a complete list, and we would have
> to revisit it in its entirety every time we touched any affected code.
> And that would be a lot of code.
>
> We need something to manage concurrent access to resources. In all of
> the above cases, if we make the rule that everything which uses an image
> cache directory must hold a lock on it whilst using it, all of the above
> problems go away. Reasoning about their correctness becomes the
> comparatively simple matter of ensuring that the lock is used correctly.
> Note that we need locking in both the single and multi node cases,
> because even single node is multi-threaded.
>
> The next question is whether that locking needs to be single node or
> multi node. Specifically, do we currently, or do we plan to, allow an
> architecture where multiple Nova nodes access the same datastore
> concurrently. If we do, then we need to find a distributed locking
> solution. Ideally this would use the datastore itself for lock
> mediation. Failing that, apparently this tool is used elsewhere within

We do have such a case in nova (
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/imagebackend.py#L179),
which led to us restoring file locking in lockutils (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77297/).

There is also work being done to create a library called "tooz" (
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/tooz) for abstracting some of the
distributed coordination patterns to allow deployers to choose between
platforms like zookeeper and etcd, just as we do with virt drivers and
message queues. It would be good if any work in this area coordinated with
the tooz team -- I anticipate the library being brought into Oslo in the
future.

Doug