[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Do you think we should introduce the online-extend feature to cinder ?

Zhangleiqiang zhangleiqiang at huawei.com
Fri Mar 7 03:56:34 UTC 2014

> get them working. For example, in a devstack VM the only way I can get the
> iSCSI target to show the new size (after an lvextend) is to delete and recreate
> the target, something jgriffiths said he doesn't want to support ;-).

I know a method can achieve it, but it maybe need the instance to pause first (during the step2 below), but without detaching/reattaching. The steps as follows:

1. Extend the LV
2.Refresh the size info in tgtd:
  a) tgtadm --op show --mode target # get the "tid" and "lun_id" properties of target related to the lv; the "size" property in output result is still the old size before lvextend
  b) tgtadm --op delete --mode logicalunit --tid={tid} --lun={lun_id}  # delete lun mapping in tgtd
  c) tgtadm --op new --mode logicalunit --tid={tid} --lun={lun_id} --backing-store=/dev/cinder-volumes/{lv-name} # re-add lun mapping
  d) tgtadm --op show --mode target #now the "size" property in output result is the new size
*PS*:
a) During the procedure, the corresponding device on the compute node won't disappear. But I am not sure the result if Instance has IO on this volume, so maybe the instance may be paused during this procedure.
b) Maybe we can modify tgtadm, and make it support the operation which is just "refresh" the size of backing store.

3. Rescan the lun info in compute node: iscsiadm -m node --targetname {target_name} -R

>I also
> haven't dived into any of those other limits you mentioned (nfs_used_ratio,
> etc.).

Till now, we focused on the "volume" which is based on *block device*. Under this scenario, we must first try to "extend" the volume and notify the hypervisor, I think one of the preconditions is to make sure the extend operation will not affect the IO in Instance.

However, there is another scenario which maybe a little different. For *online-extend" virtual disks (qcow2, sparse, etc) whose backend storage is file system (ext3, nfs, glusterfs, etc), the current implementation of QEMU is as follows:
1. QEMU drain all IO
2. *QEMU* extend the virtual disk
3. QEMU resume IO

The difference is the *extend* work need be done by QEMU other than cinder driver.

> Feel free to ping me on IRC (pdmars).

I don't know your time zone, we can continue the discussion on IRC, :)

zhangleiqiang

Best Regards