[openstack-dev] Fwd: [OpenStack GSoC] Chenchong Ask for Mentoring on "Implement a cross-services scheduler" Project

Chenchong Qin qinchenchong at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:33:17 UTC 2014

Hi

Sorry for not cc openstack-dev at first (haven't got familiar with
OpenStack's GSoC
custom... but it's quite a different flavor compared with my last mentoring
org). I just
sent it to the possible mentors. But it turns out that openstack-dev gives
lots of
benefit. :)

I noticed that Fang also has interests towards this idea. It's strengthened
my thought
that it's a great idea/project.

Russell and dims showed their concerns that the project described it is far
too large
to be able to implement in one GSoC term. In fact, I hold the same concern,
so I
asked the possible mentors about it at the end of my last mail.

This project appear to have a "big name". But when we dig into detail of
the project
description, it seems that the project is about implementing a nova
scheduler that
can take information from storage and network components into consideration
and
can make decisions based on global information. Besides, Sylvain also
mentioned
that it's now in FeatureFreeze period. So, I think maybe we can move this
project
from Gantt section to Nova section (with the consent of original project
proposers),
and further specify the contents of the project to make it a enhancement or
a new
feature/option to nova's current scheduler.

Thanks all your help and Sylvain's reminder on #openstack-meeting!

Regards!

Chenchong