[openstack-dev] [heat]Policy on upgades required config changes

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 17:39:21 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As some of you know, I've been working on the instance-users blueprint[1].

This blueprint implementation requires three new items to be added to the
heat.conf, or some resources (those which create keystone users) will not
work:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/73978/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/76035/

So on upgrade, the deployer must create a keystone domain and domain-admin
user, add the details to heat.conf, as already been done in devstack[2].

The changes requried for this to work have already landed in devstack, but
it was discussed to day and Clint suggested this may be unacceptable
upgrade behavior - I'm not sure so looking for guidance/comments.

My plan was/is:
- Make devstack work
- Talk to tripleo folks to assist in any transition (what prompted this
  discussion)
- Document the upgrade requirements in the Icehouse release notes so the
  wider community can upgrade from Havana.
- Try to give a heads-up to those maintaining downstream heat deployment
  tools (e.g stackforge/puppet-heat) that some tweaks will be required for
  Icehouse.

However some have suggested there may be an openstack-wide policy which
requires peoples old config files to continue working indefinitely on
upgrade between versions - is this right?  If so where is it documented?

The code itself will handle backwards compatibility where existing stacks
were created with the old code, but I had assumed (as a concession to code
simplicity) that some documented upgrade procedure would be acceptable
rather than hacking in some way to support the previous (broken, ref bug
#1089261) behavior when the config values are not found.

If anyone can clarify the requirement/expectation around config files and
upgrades that would be most helpful, thanks!

Steve

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/instance-users
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/73324/
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/75424/