[openstack-dev] [Nova] What is the currently accepted way to do plugins

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 17:29:35 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 06:27 AM, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud Services) wrote:
> One of my patches has a query asking if I am using the agreed way to
> load plugins: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/71557/
>
> I followed the same approach as filters/weights/metrics using
> nova.loadables. Was there an agreement to do it a different way? And if
> so, what is the agreed way of doing it? A pointer to an example or even
> documentation/wiki page would be appreciated.

The short version is entry-point based plugins using stevedore.

We should be careful though.  We need to limit what we expose as
external plug points, even if we consider them unstable.  If we don't
want it to be public, it may not make sense for it to be a plugin
interface at all.

--
Russell Bryant