[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concrete Proposal for Keeping V2 API

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 13:07:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:46:32AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> I think its also pretty unfair on the people who put a lot of work
> into the v3 API. We're seriously going to delete their code after they
> put a year into it?
>
> To me OpenStack isn't just the users, its also the development
> community. I think we do measurable harm to that development community
> by doing this. We're teaching people that having a blessed plan that
> was discussed at a summit is not enough to reassure their management
> chain that they're not wasting time developing something. That worries
> me a lot.

I don't believe we should see this as a complete waste of time - it was
really a learning experience. Certainly it would have been better if we
had been able to not invest so much in v3, but the actual effort of
doing the work clearly brought us to a level of understanding of the
problemspace that we just didn't have when the work first started.

I strongly disagree with your suggestion that we can never change our
mind about a blueprint once it has been discussed at summit / approved.
Certainly we should try and avoid it happening too often, but being
able & willing to change our minds on ideas, when new information comes
to light is a great benefit to the project over the long term.

Regards,
Daniel