[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor Framework

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Mar 4 09:11:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

I read this thread and I think this moves us in the right direction of
moving away from provider mapping, and, most importantly, abstracting away
backend-specific details.

I was however wondering if "flavours" (or "service offerings") will act
more like a catalog or a scheduler.
The difference, in mu opinion, is the following:
In the first case, specifying of an item from the catalog will uniquely
identify the backend which will implement the service. For instance if you
select "Gold
 or "GoldwithSSL" then your load balancer will be implemented using the
backend driver "Iota", whereas if you select "Copper" it will be
implemented using driver "Epsilon".
In the latter case the selection of a "flavour" will be more like
expressing a desired configuration, and this sort of "scheduler" will then
pick the driver which offer the closest specification, or reject the
request if no driver is available (which might happen if the driver is
there but has no capacity).

>From my perspective, it would also be important to not focus exclusively on
one service (I've read mostly about load balancing here), but provide a
solution, and then a PoC implementation, which will apply to Firewall and
VPN services as well.

Salvatore

PS: I'm terrible at names; So far I think we've been using mostly "flavour"
and "service offering". Regardless of what makes sense one has to consider
also uniformity with similar concepts across openstack projects.