[openstack-dev] supported dependency versioning and testing

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Mar 4 03:30:29 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-21 14:40:07 +0000 (+0000), Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
[...]
> If I was to prioritize things given limited resources, I'd suggest that
> we should be validating that OpenStack has not broken its own code as the
> top priority. So testing lowest version would rank above testing highest
> version.
[...]

While I might agree with you on principle, in practice there's a
subtle assumption lurking in that statement: that testing the lowest
versions of dependencies is as easy as testing the most current
versions.

The monkey wrench in the works here is that testing the lowest
versions effectively requires one of two things. Either...

1) work with the Python community to improve pip by endowing it with
a proper dependency solver, or...

2) find some other means of getting arbitrary dependencies installed
at appropriate versions for testing (including newly proposed
dependencies which aren't yet packaged in mainstream Linux
distributions).

On the other hand, testing the latest of everything is what we do
now, mostly because that is pip's default (and at the end of the
day, its only reasonably reliable) behavior.
--
Jeremy Stanley