[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concrete Proposal for Keeping V2 API

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 02:31:52 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014 05:35 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> There has been quite a bit of discussion about the future of the v3 API
>> recently.  There has been growing support for the idea that we should
>> change course and focus on evolving the existing v2 API instead of
>> putting out a new major revision.  This message is a more complete
>> presentation of that proposal that concludes that we can do what we
>> really need to do with only the v2 API.
>
> Ok, so process question.
>
> Who makes the final decision here? I think this is the most
> contentious decision I can remember in nova, so I'm not sure how we
> want to go about actually locking a decision in. Is that something the
> PTL does after listening to everyone's thoughts? Or is there some sort
> of vote? I don't have a strong opinion here, but I think we do need
> some way to decide when this debate is over.

My understanding is that it is ultimately a PTL call.  However, I also
believe that it is the job of the PTL to do as much as possible to drive
a discussion to consensus, as opposed to acting as a dictator.  I am
absolutely *not* interested in making this decision alone.  I think that
would be very bad for the project.  We'll take the time necessary to
work through it and use a vote if absolutely necessary, but it won't be
a PTL declaration.

The intent behind this proposal is to drive the discussion forward.
It's an attempt to lay out more concretely what the world would look
like if we chose this route.  If it's not good enough, why?  Have an
alternative concrete proposal to address concerns?  Get it on the table.
 All of that is progress towards a resolution.

I know this is quite the controversial subject given how much has been
invested.  I believe that at the end we'll be even more confident that
we're headed in the best direction for the future of Nova.

--
Russell Bryant