[openstack-dev] Proposal to move from Freenode to OFTC

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Tue Mar 4 00:32:35 UTC 2014

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

[I don't have anything substantial to add to q1 right now, though it's a
good one.]

> #2) how bad do we believe nick contention might be in this transition?
> We've got 1000+ people that have well known nicks on freenode, that
> might hit conflicts on oftc.

Now might be a good time to go register your nick (and your casual
Friday nick as well) and see.  OFTC has a similar policy to Freenode
around releasing nicks that have not been used in years, and the
operators in #oftc have been responsive to such requests.  That way, if
this is a problem, we might find out early.

> #3) while for IRC veterans this is a simple matter of changing a config
> in your IRC proxy, we have been training new folks for a long time (and
> all through our wiki and documentation) that Freenode is our place. That
> might have required some of these folks to get firewall rules for
> freenode created. What kind of timeline are you thinking about for the
> cutover to hopefully catch all these folks?

Good point (though with Freenode's constant server rotation, I wonder
how many folks actually have IP-based firewall rules [as opposed to just
a port rule which should work for OFTC as well]).

I was thinking about a month, for starters.  That gives us plenty of
time for notice, and early April puts us in the RC phase but not too
close to the release.  If we decide to proceed but feel this isn't
enough time for this or other issues, we should probably push it to
early May (the "off week" after the release).

-Jim