[openstack-dev] [all][keystone] Increase of USER_ID length maximum from 64 to 255

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Mon Mar 3 19:18:07 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 15:25 -0800, Mark Washenberger wrote:
> > I believe we have some agreement here. Other openstack services should
> > be able to use a strongly typed identifier for users. I just think if
> > we want to go that route, we probably need to create a new field to
> > act as the proper user uuid, rather than repurposing the existing
> > field. It sounds like many existing LDAP deployments would break if we
> > repurpose the existing field.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Please see my earlier response on this thread. I am proposing putting
> external identifiers into a mapping table that would correlate a
> Keystone UUID user ID with external identifiers (of variable length).

The thing you seem to be missing is that the current user-id attribute is
an "external identifier" depending on the identity backend you're using
today. For example in the LDAP driver it is the CN by default (which is
ridiculous for a large number of reasons, but let's leave those aside.) So
if you want to create a new, strongly typed internal uuid identifier that
makes the db performance scream, more power to you. But it's going to have
to be a new field.