[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Mar 3 19:04:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> instances
> too
> >>
> >> Capacity planning not falling under Compute's umbrella is news to me,
> >> are you referring to Gantt and scheduling in general? Perhaps I don't
> >> fully understand the full extent of what 'capacity planning' actually
> >> is.

> noticed,
> resources
> >>
> >> I don't see how Climate reserves resources is relevant to the user.

> >> Unfortunately that doesn't clarify things for me.
> >>
> >> From the user's point of view what is the benefit from making a
> >> reservation in the future? Versus what Nova supports today, asking for
> >> an instance in the present.
> >>
> >> Same thing from the operator's perspective,  what is the benefit of
> >> taking reservations for the future?
> >>
> >> This whole model is unclear to me because as far as I can tell no
> >> other clouds out there support this model, so I have nothing to
> >> compare it to.
> >>

> > Hi Joe,
> > I think it's meant to save consumers money by pricing instances based on
> > today's prices.
> >
> > https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/reserved-instances/
>

> The reserved concept in Amazon, is very different then the one
> proposed here. The amazon concept doesn't support saying I will need
> an instance in 3 days, this is trying to support that use case.
> Furthermore  I am not sure how the climate proposal would allow a
> cloud provider to offer a cheaper offering.

It feels like it should be part of a scheduler or reservation program but
we don't have one today. We also don't have a workflow, planning, or
capacity management program, all of which these use cases could fall under.

(I should know this but) What are the options when a program doesn't exist
already? Am I actually struggling with a scope expansion beyond
infrastructure definitions? I'd like some more discussion by next week's TC
meeting.

Thanks,
Anne