[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Do you think we should introduce the online-extend feature to cinder ?

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Mar 3 17:05:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Zhangleiqiang <zhangleiqiang at huawei.com>wrote:

> Hi, stackers:
>
>         Libvirt/qemu have supported online-extend for multiple disk
> formats, including qcow2, sparse, etc. But Cinder only support
> offline-extend volumes currently.
>
>     Offline-extend volume will force the instance to be shutoff or the
> volume to be detached. I think it will be useful if we introduce the
> online-extend feature to cinder, especially for the file system based
> driver, e.g. nfs, glusterfs, etc.
>
>     Is there any other suggestions?
>
>     Thanks.

Hi Zhangleiqiang,

So yes, there's a rough BP for this here: [1], and some of the folks from
the Trove team (pdmars on IRC) have actually started to dive into this.
 Last I checked with him there were some sticking points on the Nova side
but we should synch up with Paul, it's been a couple weeks since I've last
caught up with him.

Thanks,
John
[1]: