[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 04:33:37 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Dina Belova <dbelova at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hello, folks!
>
> I'd like to request Climate project review for incubation. Here is official
> incubation application:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Climate/Incubation

I'm unclear on what Climate is trying to solve. I read the 'Detailed
Description' from the link above, and it states Climate is trying to
solve two uses cases (and the more generalized cases of those).

1) Compute host reservation (when user with admin privileges can
reserve hardware resources that are dedicated to the sole use of a
tenant)
2) Virtual machine (instance) reservation (when user may ask
reservation service to provide him working VM not necessary now, but
also in the future)

You want to support being able to reserve an instance in the future.
As a cloud operator how do I take advantage of that information? As a
cloud consumer, what is the benefit? Today OpenStack supports both
uses cases, except it can't request an Instance for the future.