[openstack-dev] Toward SQLAlchemy 0.9.x compatibility everywhere for Icehouse

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Mar 3 00:20:41 UTC 2014

On 03/02/2014 07:06 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 03/02/2014 03:12 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 03/02/2014 12:03 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> About a week ago, the maintainer of SQLAlchemy uploaded version 0.9.3 in
>>> Debian Sid. This of course broke a lot of OpenStack packages, including
>>> python-migrate.
>>>
>>> I do not intend to let this continue on for 7 months like it happened
>>> for SQLA 0.8.x.
>>>
>>> Over the last week, I worked, together with my colleagues from eNovance,
>>> on fixing python-migrate. Today, I can proudly say that migrate seems to
>>> have been fixed and works fully with SQLAlchemy 0.9.3. All unit tests
>>> are passing, including the ones for MySQL, which I also do in my Debian
>>> package.
>>>
>>> I haven't uploaded python-migrate to Debian Sid yet, because I'm waiting
>>> for python-ibm-db-sa to be approved by FTP masters. However, I have good
>>> hopes that it will happen soon.
>>>
>>> The Debian package I've prepared already includes all of SQLA-Migrate
>>> commits currently available in the Git, plus 4 patches which I intend to
>>> push upstream. The resulting package works with both SQLA 0.8.x and SQLA
>>> 0.9.x.
>>>
>>> Next up is Keystone. Only one unit test is failing, as much as I can tell:
>>> keystone.tests.test_sql_upgrade.SqlUpgradeTests.test_upgrade_14_to_16
>>>
>>> Once Keystone is fixed, we'll move to the next packages.
>>>
>>> I hope to get support from core reviewers here, so that we can fix-up
>>> the SQLA 0.9.x compat ASAP, preferably before b3. Of course, I'll make
>>> sure all we do works with both 0.8 and 0.9 version of SQLA. Is there
>>> anyone still running with the old 0.7? If yes, then we can try to
>>> continue validating OpenStack against it as well.
>>>
>>> Thoughts welcome,
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>>
>> FYI, the below patches need review:
>>
>> SQLAlchemy-migrate:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77387/
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77388/
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77396/
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77397/
>
> Can you put these in a series, and add this tox change at the end of the
> series - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66156/7/tox.ini ?
>
> That will ensure that we're testing 0.9 upstream. And we can adjust the
> job runner definition to run with 0.7, 0.8, and 0.9 once all is in.

I restacked the final 2 changes to just be the tox fixes to actually run
this code - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66156/

It looks like there are still 2 unit test failures in there even after
the 4 changes above.

Did you see those in your local environment?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America