[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Jun 27, 2014

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jun 27 19:27:03 UTC 2014

__In review and merged this past week__

Keep using the handy Gerrit dashboard for doc reviews at
http://is.gd/openstackdocreview.

We have a nearly-done instruction set for creating FreeBSD images in the
Virtual Machine Image Guide. Check it out at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/102265/

We've removed the /trunk/ build of the Operations Guide so that it
publishes directly to docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/. If any redirects
act up for you, let us know.

We're starting a docs-specs repository at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/103115/ with a slightly different template
than the one used for coding projects.

__High priority doc work__

With the first milestone release, I'd like to ensure we're keeping up with
DocImpact and that developers continue to use DocImpact.

__Ongoing doc work__

Install guide continues to be updated for Juno, such as ensuring that admin
credentials are available prior to uploading an image and marking it
public. Here's a blog post stepping through the installation guide:
http://thoughtsoncloud.com/2014/06/openstack-day-20/

I met with a web designer team again this week, and we are planning on
three phases for a redesign of developer.openstack.org.
Phase I:
Define personas, roles
Define interaction between subdomain sites and site pages
Wire framing
Phase II:
Define how many site page designs we'd need (such as landing page, search
results page, internal content pages), purposes for the pages
Phase III:
Working HTML and CSS mockups

Design work will be in the open and we'll solicit feedback as we go. We
will engage the community on the openstack-docs list primarily, but can
bring it to openstack and openstack-dev when needed.

__New incoming doc requests__

I continue to have requests for XenServer documentation. We have plenty of
doc bugs tracking this and an entire blueprint just waiting for someone to
pick up. As Tom requested in a mailing list post the other week, please
consider signing up for the blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/redocument-xen

__Doc tools updates__

The sitemap generator is updated to enable us to remove /trunk listings
from the sitemap. We're considering going with /dev rather than /trunk for
in-progress release documents like the install guides and configuration
reference. We could use /current for the current release. Let us know if
you have opinions and preferences.

__Other doc news__

Please let us know how you envision the new glance team mission affecting
the various documentation naming throughout.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2014-June/004721.html