[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 24 13:48:06 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 02:49 PM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> On 22 June 2014 14:41, Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com> wrote:
>> In addition to making changes to the hacking rules, why don't we mandate also
>> that perceived problems in the commit message shall not be an acceptable
>> reason to -1 a change.
>
> -1.
>
> There are some /really/ bad commit messages out there, and some of us
> try to use the commit messages to usefully sort through the changes
> (i.e. I often -1 in cinder a change only affects one driver and that
> isn't clear from the summary).
>
> If the perceived problem is grammatical, I'm a bit more on board with
> it not a reason to rev a patch, but core reviewers can +2/A over the
> top of a -1 anyway...

100% agree. Spelling and grammar are rude to review on - especially
since we have (and want) a LOT of non-native English speakers. It's not
our job to teach people better grammar. Heck - we have people from
different English backgrounds with differing disagreements on what good
grammar _IS_

But learning to put better info into a commit message is worthwhile to
learn. I know that I, for one, have gotten better at this over my time
working on OpenStack.