[openstack-dev] [hacking] rules for removal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Jun 21 01:26:50 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2014-06-20 11:07:39 -0700:
> After seeing a bunch of code changes to enforce new hacking rules, I'd
> like to propose dropping some of the rules we have. The overall patch
> series is here -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack-dev/hacking+branch:master+topic:be_less_silly,n,z
>
> H402 - 1 line doc strings should end in punctuation. The real statement
> is this should be a summary sentence. A sentence is not just a set of
> words that end in a period. Squirel fast bob. It's something deeper.
> This rule thus isn't really semantically useful, especially when you are
> talking about at 69 character maximum (79 - 4 space indent - 6 quote
> characters).

Yes. I despise this one.

> H803 - First line of a commit message must *not* end in a period. This
> was mostly a response to an unreasonable core reviewer that was -1ing
> people for not having periods. I think any core reviewer that -1s for
> this either way should be thrown off the island, or at least made fun
> of, a lot. Again, the clarity of a commit message is not made or lost by
> the lack or existence of a period at the end of the first line.

Perhaps we can make a bot that writes disparaging remarks on any -1's
that mention "period" in the line after the short commit message. :)

> H305 - Enforcement of libraries fitting correctly into stdlib, 3rdparty,
> our tree. This biggest issue here is it's built in a world where there
> was only 1 viable python version, 2.7. Python's stdlib is actually
> pretty dynamic and grows over time. As we embrace more python 3, and as
> distros start to make python3 be front and center, what does this even
> mean? The current enforcement can't pass on both python2 and python3 at
> the same time in many cases because of that.

I think we should find a way to make this work. Like it or not, this
will garner -1's by people for stylistic reasons and I'd rather it be
the bots than the humans do it.

The algorithm is something like this pseudo python:

for block in import_blocks:
    if is_this_set_in_a_known_lib_collection(block):
        continue
    if is_this_set_entirely_local(block):
        continue
    if is_this_set_entirely_installed_libs(block):
        continue
    raise AnError(block)

And just make the python2 and python3 stdlibs both be a match. Basically
I'm saying, let's just be more forgiving but keep the check so we can
avoid most of the "-1 please group libs and stdlibs separately" patches.