[openstack-dev] [TC] [Murano] Follow up on cross-project session

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 18 09:14:14 UTC 2014

Ruslan Kamaldinov wrote:
> [...]
> On top of those Murano provides the following features:
> - allow users to combine various packages from catalog by using
> capabilities and requirements of applications
> - provide easy-to-use rich UI for end users who don’t necessarily have
> understanding of the underlying cloud infrastructure
> - Murano "knows" how to merge different packages and generates Heat
> template to deploy the environment, which in terms of Murano is a
> logical aggregation of multiple applications
> - as an application catalog allows app publishers and cloud owners to
> certify and license packages, provide additional partner information
> - allow to define billing rules. Murano can generate events predefined
> by app publisher to Ceilometer and integrate with 3rd party billing
> systems to bill users based on Ceilometer statistics

Thanks Ruslan, that's really helpful. Asking a few more questions to
make sure I got it right.

So to take a practical example, Murano lets you pick (using UI or CLI) a
wordpress package (which requires a DB) and compose it with a mysql
package (which provides a DB), and will deploy that composition using
Heat ? And additionally, it provides package-publisher-friendly features
like certification, licensing and bulling ?

> - third-party services plumbing to support integration with APIs, both
> in stack, like Trove, and external

Does that mean, to come back to my example above, that we could
substitute a Trove resource to the mysql package ? or put a Neutron
LBaaS load balancer on top ? or publish a DNS entry via Designate ?

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)