[openstack-dev] [metrics] How to group activity in git/gerrit repositories

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Jun 18 00:32:25 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 12:25 PM, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
> Most of groups are created from the official programs
> <http://programs.yaml>.yaml. Every program turns into item in the module
> list (colored in violet), for example 'Nova Compute' is a group
> containing 'nova', 'python-novaclient' and 'nova-specs'. Every type of
> repo (integrated, incubated and others) turns into the project type, for
> example 'integrated' type would contain all modules for a chosen release.

Thanks for clarifying that, I suspected that was the case. I don't think
it makes much sense to count the *-specs repositories together with code
in the program but probably they don't move the needle that much. In any
case, I'm having specs not counted on Activity Board.

I also am not fully convinced that the clients and their parent project
should be counted together as I suspect different set of people work on
them and they have different behavior. Again, the difference may be too
small to justify adding complexity to the reports but I would like to
see that difference quantified precisely first.

> Also Stackalytics has a few custom project types
> <https://github.com/stackforge/stackalytics/blob/master/etc/default_data.json#L7833-L7879>,
> for example 'infra' is every project under 'openstack-infra' git, or
> 'documentation' which is the group 'documentation' from programs.yaml.

On the infra program, how do you separate OpenStack-related
contributions to a repository like - repo: openstack-infra/gerrit, which
is a fork of upstream gerrit, from the commits of upstream, non
openstack people? In the past we've simply excluded from the count all
the forks but wondered if there is a better way.

/stef