[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Backwards compatibility policy for our projects

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Mon Jun 16 16:54:02 UTC 2014

Why is OOO being singled out for backwards compatibility?

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Thomas [mailto:duncan.thomas at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 11:42 AM
To: jrist at redhat.com; OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [TripleO] Backwards compatibility policy for our projects

On 16 June 2014 17:30, Jason Rist <jrist at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm going to have to agree with Tomas here.  There doesn't seem to be
> any reasonable expectation of backwards compatibility for the reasons
> he outlined, despite some downstream releases that may be impacted.

Backward compatibility is a hard habit to get into, and easy to put off. If you're not making any guarantees now, when are you going to start making them? How much breakage can users expect? Without wanting to look entirely like a troll, should TripleO be dropped as an official until it can start making such guarantees? I think every other official OpenStack project has a stable API policy of some kind, even if they don't entirely match...