[openstack-dev] NFV in OpenStack use cases and context

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 07:37:24 UTC 2014

Hi Yathi,

Le 12/06/2014 20:53, Yathiraj Udupi (yudupi) a écrit :
> Hi Alan,
>
> Our Smart (Solver) Scheduler blueprint
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/solver-scheduler ) has been
> in the works in the Nova community since late 2013.  We have demoed at the
> Hong Kong summit, as well as the Atlanta summit,  use cases using this
> smart scheduler for better, optimized resource placement with complex
> constrained scenarios.  So to let you know this work was started as a
> smart way of doing scheduling, applicable in general and not limited to
> NFV.  Currently we feel NFV is a killer app for driving this blueprint and
> work ahead, however is applicable for all kinds of resource placement
> scenarios.
>
> We will be very interested in finding out more about your blueprints that
> you are referring to here, and see how it can be integrated as part of our
> future roadmap.

Indeed, Smart Scheduler is something that could help NFV use-cases. My
only concern is about the necessary steps for providing such a feature,
with regards to the scheduler breakout that is coming.

Could you please make sure the current nova-spec [1] is taking in
account all other efforts about the scheduler, like scheduler forklift
[2], on-demand resource reporting [3] or others ? It also seems the spec
is not following the defined template, could you please fix it ? It
would be easier to review your proposal.

Gantt and Nova scheduler teams are attending a weekly meeting every
Tuesday at 3pm UTC. Would you have a chance to join, it would be great
to discuss about your proposal and how we can identify all the
milestones for this and potentially track progress on it.

Thanks,
-Sylvain

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96543/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/82133 and